Online Course for Veterinary Pathology – Bone Marrow Certificate
Purdue University is offering a new online course for veterinary pathologists, pathologists in training, and other veterinary professionals to enhance their knowledge of cytologic and histologic bone marrow evaluation in cats and dogs. Through Purdue’s Bone Marrow Certificate program, you will learn the process of identifying bone marrow lesions and establishing a diagnosis. This course will help you gain a comprehensive, practical understanding of normal bone marrow and non-neoplastic disorders that affect the bone marrow.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Critique bone marrow aspirate and core specimen acceptability
- Demonstrate the use of a standardized approach to assessing normal and abnormal bone marrow aspirate and core specimens
- Integrate clinical information (signalment, history, and laboratory data) with bone marrow findings to establish a definitive diagnosis or list of the most likely differentials
- Explain any additional testing needed to establish a definitive diagnosis
- Describe and identify blood and bone marrow manifestations of non-neoplastic disorders of the erythroid, myeloid and megakaryocyte lineages, as well as stromal and trabecular bony changes
8 week course starts June 14 to August 6, 2021
Estimated Time: 4 hours a week
Self paced but with weekly deadlines and two live class sessions per week.
Those enrolling must have a veterinary degree, doctor of veterinary medicine (DMV) or equivalent, and ideally will be board certified, although board certification isn’t required.
- Joanne Messick, VMD, PhD
- Rose Raskin, DVM, PhD
- Andrea P.dos Santos, DVM, MSc, PhD
- Sanjeev Narayanan, BVSc, PhD
- Melissa Swan, DVM
Date(s) - 14/06/2021 - 06/08/2021